In February the ABC Four Corners television program aired a story called Swallowing It: How Australians Are Spending Billions on Unproven Vitamins and Supplements (Thompson et al 2017) as part of the ABC’s constant stream of free advertising for the medical industry. From the transcript:
DR MICHAEL GANNON, PRESIDENT AUSTRALIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION: It’s very rare to meet an Australian family that doesn’t have some form of vitamin supplements somewhere in the family, and what a lot of Australian families have is very expensive urine.
GEOFF THOMPSON: Melbourne’s Swinburne University is just one of the top Australian universities which have entered into funding deals with Swisse and Blackmores. La Trobe University has agreed to accept 15 million dollars from Swisse to establish a Complementary Medicine Evidence Centre. Blackmores donated five million dollars to the University of Western Sydney where it also funds scholarships. At Sydney University, a 1.3 million dollar Maurice Blackmore chair of integrative medicine is awaiting appointment. Last year even Australia’s peak scientific body the CSIRO signed a three-year multimillion dollar research deal with Swisse. The company is also a sponsor of the ABC’s international service Australia Plus.
DR MICHAEL GANNON: Their margins are tight and I think there’s more and more evidence that they do make the majority of their income from the other things they sell, and the problem lies when they sell things that are potentially useful, potentially harmful.
GEOFF THOMPSON: The pharmacists’ embrace of complementary medicine has put them in conflict with the doctors’ peak body, the Australian Medical Association.
DR MICHAEL GANNON: We’ve got a number of concerns about the use of complementary medicine in pharmacy. If we’re talking about non-evidence based treatments, they’re given a legitimacy by being sold by pharmacists, an important member of the professional healthcare team.
DR MICHAEL GANNON: When we look at the most trusted professions, year on year on year, I’m proud to say that at the top is doctors, nurses, and pharmacists. So that respect has been hard won. That’s put at risk if they’re being seen to promote treatments that increasingly the average consumer recognises might be a load of rubbish.
So Gannon bemoans the fact that taking vitamins is very common in Australia, while pushing for even more forced-fluoridation, even though fluoride is already the most commonly taken drug in Australia, not by choice but because it’s dumped into public water supplies as a supposed preventive measure. Apparently he can’t see the irony in referring to “very expensive urine” and “non-evidence based treatments” in relation to essential nutrients, while promoting the involuntary consumption of fluoride, which is itself a treatment not based on evidence, and not a nutrient. He accuses pharmacists of giving legitimacy to bogus treatments while he and the other professional forced-fluoridation promoters give legitimacy to fluoride-spiked water by talking a load of rubbish about it. The hypocrisy could not be more stark. Perhaps it has never occurred to Gannon, or the geniuses at the ABC, that one of the reasons so many Australians take vitamins and minerals may be that fluoride toxicity has increased their need for them. Fluoride promotes oxidative stress and inflammation (Barbier et al 2010), interferes with enzymes and various biological processes by binding to essential minerals such as magnesium, zinc, iron, and calcium (Adamek 2005, 70), and can interfere with the absorption of nutrients by damaging the mucosa and microvilli in the gastrointestinal tract (Susheela et al 2014, 573). Another reason, which may also largely be a consequence of fluoride toxicity, may be that the health of the Australian population is poor, with high rates of various chronic health conditions for which the medical profession has no satisfactory answers. Many people self-treat due to the lack of a viable alternative. Seeing so many unhealthy people all around them, it is hardly surprising that many people with no obvious health problems are also worried about their health, and take nutrients as a preventive measure. Personally, I do not have a very high opinion of the Australian supplements industry. For one thing, I have not seen any evidence that there is any testing of the fluoride content of its products. I also agree that health research should be independent, not funded by businesses which can profit from marketing disguised as research. The absence of adequate, independent research is a failure of government, and that applies to fluoride exposure and its consequences just as much as it does to anything else.
“Michael Gannon always knew he would be a doctor. As a child he had allergies, asthma and chronic tonsillitis. Nothing dramatic, he says, but enough to make him a regular at the local GP. It was this kind, warm and compassionate GP, Dr Ian Matthews of Perth, who inspired him to study medicine. ‘He was a fantastic role model. Medicine is a wonderful vocation. It is an amazing privilege.’ ” (Fram 2016) This is entirely in keeping with Gannon’s very low standards and religiosity. There have been large increases in the rates of allergies and asthma in Australia in recent decades, and the medical industry is just raking in the extra profits without knowing the cause(s), providing cures, or providing anything more than partial and temporary relief of symptoms. There is a cure for chronic tonsillitis, but that involves removing the tonsils.
Twitter (22 February 2017)
Great advice from our cousins USA. #vaccination is the #publichealth #prevencion triumph of our time. Must never lose gains
It’s interesting that Gannon refers to vaccination as “the” public health triumph of our time, not “a” public health triumph. It raises questions as to whether or not he actually believes what he says about forced-fluoridation, and whether or not what he says about it is simply an attempt to protect the reputation, and therefore power, of the medical industry. The use of the word “cousins” is also interesting, considering that dumping fluoride pollution into public water supplies is as American as dumping people in the street, dumping people in cages, dumping bombs on foreigners, and dumping greenhouse pollution into the atmosphere. There is also reason to believe that fluoridationists are closet white supremacists, but I won’t go into that here.
The latest F-ups from the AMA twit on Twitter:
28 March 2017
#Fluoride a #publichealth triumph. Sadly not across Qld & NSW @Julesschiller @abcadelaide @AUS_Dental #prevention
28 March 2017
Giant cavities in #Paleo PeteEvans’ #Fluoride claims. Do your own research!? 45mins on web not same as BSc or MBBS @AUS_Dental #science
27 March 2017
Please stick to cooking #Paleo Pete. Leave infant feeding, #vaccination, skin #cancer #fluoride to #science experts
Dr Michael Gannon, president of the Australian Medical Association, says that ethics is the most important topic of all while being an entirely unethical human rights abuser himself and criticising others for speaking out about human rights abuse, claims to care about democracy while being extremely authoritarian and turning a blind eye to corruption, refers approvingly to “Hippocratic medicine” while being indifferent at best to the harm he is doing, accuses innocent peope of being child abusers while being a shameless mass child abuser himself, preaches non-violence while being a violent religious zealot himself, dishonestly criticises others for not providing evidence while repeatedly making claims of scientific proof without providing a shred of evidence for them, preaches about science while being scientifically illiterate, accuses others of peddling misinformation while being a braindead parrot himself, accuses others of inciting fear while exploiting fear in his own propaganda, accuses others of being anti-health while being a mass poisoner himself, criticises others for being “extremely vocal” while being a public relations hack himself, refers to “poorly performed research” while ignoring the fact that much of the research showing harm or ineffectiveness is of much better quality than the very poor quality research which fluoridationists rely on, and calls others “simply wrong”, basket cases, stupid, conspiracy theorists, and dills while being a complete imbecile himself. Regardless of what he thinks he is trying to achieve, Gannon is pure evil.
28 May 2018 update: Michael Gannon has ended his two-year term as AMA president. Unfortunately he has been replaced by Tony Bartone, who is also a perpetrator of forced-fluoridation.
21 May 2019 update: It has come to my attention that Paul Syvret quit The Courier Mail in August 2018. A copy of what is purported to be his last column there was posted on the Hot Copper online forum. Interestingly, he bemoans news stories “giving equal space to the various flat-earthers, vaccination sceptics, creationists, racists and other loons out there” but makes no mention of opponents of forced-fluoridation. As far as I can tell, he has made no public mention of forced-fluoridation since ending his association with Rupert Murdoch.
Discussing forced-fluoridation is all well and good, but the main point of the exercise is to get rid of it. Click below for some ideas on how to end the fluoride-spiking insanity.
- ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (2004-10-20). Bellingen says no to fluoridation. Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (2007-12-06). Group airs protests over fluoridation decision. Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (2012-12-11). Qld govt condemned over water fluoridation call (water fluoridation TWT transcript). Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (2017-04-03). New head of the Australian Bankers Association, Anna Bligh, talks to 7.30. Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Adamek E, Pawlowska-Góral K, Bober K (2005). In vitro and in vivo effects of fluoride ions on enzyme activity. Annales Academiae Medicae Stetinensis 51(2): 69-85.
- AIHW (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare) (2011). Health and the environment: a compilation of evidence. Canberra (Australia): Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
- Akers HF, Porter SAT, Wear R (2005). Water fluoridation in Queensland, why not? Timing, circumstance, and the nature of The Fluoridation of Public Water Supplies Act (1963). Health and History 7(2): 30-55.
- AMA (Australian Medical Association) (2011-04-17). Evidence gathered on health and the environment. Australia: Australian Medical Association.
- AMA (Australian Medical Association) (2016-05-29). Dr Michael Gannon elected as a new AMA President and Dr Tony Bartone elected new AMA Vice President. Australia: Australian Medical Association.
- AMA (Australian Medical Association) (2016-08-17). Transcript: Dr Gannon, ABC 666, school milk, fluoride, medical workforce and Medicare freeze. Australia: Australian Medical Association.
- AMA (Australian Medical Association) (2016-08-19). Transcript: Dr Gannon, National Press Club Q and A. Australia: Australian Medical Association.
- AMAWA (Australian Medical Association (WA)) (2013-02-13). Dr Michael Gannon. Australia: Australian Medical Association (WA).
- AMAWA (Australian Medical Association (WA)) (2014-02-20). Beware of anti-fluoride message: AMA (WA). Australia: Australian Medical Association (WA).
- AMAWA (Australian Medical Association (WA)) (2014-06-04). Dr Michael Gannon elected as AMA (WA) President. Australia: Australian Medical Association (WA).
- ASC (Aurukun Shire Council) (2017). Welcome to Aurukun [website homepage]. Australia: Aurukun Shire Council.
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry) (2003). Toxicological profile for fluorides, hydrogen fluoride, and fluorine. USA 536 p.
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry) (2010). Toxicological profile for chlorine. USA 218 p.
- Awofeso N (2012). Ethics of artificial water fluoridation in Australia. Public Health Ethics 5(2): 161-172.
- Barbier O, Arreola-Mendoza L, Del Razo LM (2010). Molecular mechanisms of fluoride toxicity. Chemico-Biological Interactions 188: 319-333.
- Black GV, McKay FS (1916). Mottled teeth: an endemic developmental imperfection of the enamel of the teeth heretofore unknown in the literature of dentistry. The Dental Cosmos 58(2): 129-156.
- Bryson C (2004). The fluoride deception. New York (USA): Seven Stories Press 374 p.
- Burnet A (2016-09-27). Fluoride on people’s lips. Australia: The Bellingen Shire Courier-Sun.
- CHCC (Coffs Harbour City Council) (2004-06-03). Coffs Harbour City Council ordinary meeting (City Business Units Committee). Australia: Coffs Harbour City Council.
- CHCC (Coffs Harbour City Council) (2017). Fluoridation. Australia: Coffs Harbour City Council.
- Connett M (2012). Fluoride is not an essential nutrient. USA: Fluoride Action Network.
- Cressey P, Gaw S, Love J (2010). Estimated dietary fluoride intake for New Zealanders. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 70(4): 327-336.
- Cross DW, Carton RJ (2003). Fluoridation: a violation of medical ethics and human rights. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health 9(1): 24-29.
- Dart RC, editor (2004). Medical Toxicology. Third Edition. Philadelphia (USA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 1914 p.
- Dean HT, McKay FS (1939). Production of mottled enamel halted by a change in common water supply. American Journal of Public Health and the Nation’s Health 29(6): 590-596.
- DeLuca HF (2014). History of the discovery of vitamin D and its active metabolites. BoneKEy Reports 3: article number 479.
- Fairhurst T (2014-01-13). Turn the tap off fluoridation. Australia: Port Macquarie News.
- FAN (Fluoride Action Network) (2017). Brain. USA: Fluoride Action Network.
- Farkas CS (1975). Total fluoride intake and fluoride content of common foods: a review. Fluoride 8(2): 98-105.
- Feeney K (2012-12-18). Fluoride to stay in Brisbane’s water supply. Australia: Brisbane Times.
- FO (Farm Online) (2012-07-02). Lobby group welcomes fluoride review. Australia: Farm Online.
- Fram C (2016-08-02). Things you might not know about Michael Gannon. Australia: Medical Observer.
- Fraser A (2012-03-26). Labor slumps to biggest defeat in modern history. Australia: The Australian.
- Fujii S, Shimizu A, Takeda N, Oguchi K, Katsurai T, Shirakawa H, Komai M, Kagechika H (2015). Systematic synthesis and anti-inflammatory activity of ω-carboxylated menaquinone derivatives—Investigations on identified and putative vitamin K2 metabolites. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 23(10): 2344-2352.
- Full CA, Parkins FM (1975). Effect of cooking vessel composition on fluoride. Journal of Dental Research 54: 192.
- Gellie C (2016-07-19). Fluoride to be taken out of Gladstone’s water in ’40 days’. Australia: Gladstone Observer.
- Going RE (1980). Sugar and fluoride content of various forms of tobacco. The Journal of the American Dental Association 100(1): 27-33.
- Grandjean P, Landrigan PJ (2014). Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity. The Lancet Neurology 13(3): 330-338.
- Hansen J (2017-03-11). Byron shire’s dangerous anti-vax sentiment is catching. Australia: The Daily Telegraph.
- Harris A, Duck S (2014-12-06). My Kitchen Rules chef Pete Evans backs extreme anti-fluoride group. Australia: The Daily Telegraph.
- HRLC (Human Rights Law Centre) (2015-03-09). UN finds Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers violates the Convention Against Torture. Australia: Human Rights Law Centre.
- Iheozor-Ejiofor Z, Worthington HV, Walsh T, O’Malley L, Clarkson JE, Macey R, Alam R, Tugwell P, Welch V, Glenny A (2015). Water fluoridation for the prevention of dental caries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 6(Art. No.: CD010856).
- Kenna K (2013-08-01). Letters: fluoride debate still rages. Australia: The North West Star.
- Knox M (2015-06-13). Supermarket monsters – Woolworths and Coles too big to let fail. Australia: The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Ko L, Thiessen KM (2015). A critique of recent economic evaluations of community water fluoridation. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health 21(2): 91-120.
- Konno H, Yaegaki K, Tanaka T, Sato T, Itai K, Imai T, Murata T, Herai M (2008). Neither hollow-fibre membrane filters nor activated-charcoal filters remove fluoride from fluoridated tap water. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association 74(5): 443.
- Lee J (2016-05-29). Dr Michael Gannon named new Australian Medical Association president. Australia: The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Lefler D, Calovich A (2012-11-07). Wichita voters reject fluoridated water. USA: The Wichita Eagle.
- McCarthy S, Maguire A, Elton A (2016). Executive detention: still no effective review for detainees. Alternative Law Journal 41(4): 249-253.
- McKay FS, Black GV (1916). An investigation of mottled teeth: an endemic developmental imperfection of the enamel of the teeth heretofore unknown in the literature of dentistry. The Dental Cosmos 58(5,6,7,8): 477-484, 627-644, 781-792, 894-904.
- McKay FS (1939). Mottled enamel: the result of a change of water supply at Bauxite, Arkansas: ten years afterward. The Journal of the American Dental Association 26(6): 900-905.
- Miles J (2016-11-12). Disappearing fluoridation schemes take toll on children’s dental health. Australia: The Courier Mail.
- Müller ALH, Müller CC, Antes FG, Barin JS, Dressler VL, Flores EMM, Müller EI (2012). Determination of bromide, chloride, and fluoride in cigarette tobacco by ion chromatography after microwave-induced combustion. Analytical Letters 45(9): 1004-1015.
- NRC (National Research Council) (2006). Fluoride in drinking water: a scientific review of EPA’s standards. Washington DC (USA): National Academies Press 530 p.
- Nriagu JO (1998). Clair Patterson and Robert Kehoe’s paradigm of “show me the data” on environmental lead poisoning. Environmental Research 78(2): 71-78.
- O’Brien C, Gordon K (2016-09-28). Mackay council votes 6-5 to stop adding fluoride to drinking water. Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- O’Brien S (2016-09-08). Paleo Pete Evans camel milk comments unhealthy. Australia: Herald Sun.
- O’Leary C (2014-08-21). Vaccine neglect child abuse: doctors. Australia: The West Australian.
- Pradhan KM, Arora NK, Jena A, Susheela AK, Bhan MK (1995). Safety of ciprofloxacin therapy in children: magnetic resonance images, body fluid levels of fluoride and linear growth. Acta Paediatrica 84(5): 555-560.
- QSW (Queenslanders for Safe Water) (2008). Why a referendum? Australia: Queenslanders for Safe Water (PDF, 0.1 MB)
- RAC (Refugee Action Committee) (2017). How Australia violates human rights. Australia: Refugee Action Committee.
- Randall T, Thompson M (2014). 120ml/day fluoridation dosing plant. How to build your own hydrofluorosilicic acid dosing system. Australia: Water Industry Operators Association of Australia (WIOA): 138-144.
- Roholm K (1937). Fluorine intoxication: a clinical-hygienic study with a review of the literature and some experimental investigations. Copenhagen (Denmark): Nyt Nordisk Forlag 364 p.
- Rooney K (2017-03-31). Dentists concerned over health of children after Hinchinbrook Shire Council vote to remove fluoride. Australia: Townsville Bulletin.
- Schmidt B (2013-06-14). Strongest opposition to fluoride found among east Portland voters: Portland City Hall Roundup. USA: The Oregonian/OregonLive.
- Schünemann H, Brożek J, Guyatt G, Oxman A (2013). GRADE handbook: handbook for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations using the GRADE approach. Guideline Development.
- Sivaneswaran S, Chong GTF, Blinkhorn AS (2010). Successful fluoride plebiscite in the township of Deniliquin, New South Wales, Australia. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 70(2): 163-166.
- SQ (State of Queensland) (2008). Water fluoridation act 2008: act no. 12 of 2008. Australia: State of Queensland.
- Susheela AK, Mondal NK, Tripathi N, Gupta R (2014). Early diagnosis and complete recovery from fluorosis through practice of interventions. Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 62: 572-579.
- Swain AR, Soutter VL, Loblay RH (2009). RPAH elimination diet handbook: with food & shopping guide. Sydney (Australia): Allergy Unit, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital 134p.
- Syvret P (2016-10-03). Opinion: all the rot is ruining our teeth. Australia: The Courier Mail.
- Thom G (Nov 2009). Human rights in Australia: refugees and asylum seekers. Australian Review of Public Affairs. Australia.
- Thompson G, Russell A, Fallon M (2017-02-13). Swallowing it: how Australians are spending billions on unproven vitamins and supplements. Australia: Four Corners, Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- TS (Tenterfield Star) (2012-07-10). It’s here: Monday the day for fluoride. Australia: Tenterfield Star.
- TSC (Tenterfield Shire Council) (2017). Addition of fluoride to Tenterfield & Urbenville water supplies. Australia: Tenterfield Shire Council.
- TWU (Transport Workers’ Union) (2015-11-11). $7 million financial link between Wesfarmers and Liberal Party revealed. Australia: Transport Workers’ Union.
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) (2005). Universal declaration on bioethics and human rights. Paris (France): United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Vandenberg LN, Colborn T, Hayes TB, Heindel JJ, Jacobs DR, Lee D, Shioda T, Soto AM, vom Saal FS, Welshons WV, et al (2012). Hormones and endocrine-disrupting chemicals: low-dose effects and nonmonotonic dose responses. Endocrine Reviews 33(3): 378-455.
- Varney W (1986). Fluoride in Australia: a case to answer. Sydney (Australia): Hale & Iremonger Pty, Limited 159 p.
- Warnakulasuriya S, Harris C, Gelbier S, Keating J, Peters T (2002). Fluoride content of alcoholic beverages. Clinica Chimica Acta 320(1-2): 1-4.
- Warren JJ, Levy SM (2003). Current and future role of fluoride in nutrition. Dental Clinics of North America 47(2): 225-243.
- Weißenborn A, Ehlers A, Hirsch-Ernst KI, Lampen A, Niemann B (2017). A two-faced vitamin: folic acid – prevention or promotion of colon cancer? Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 60(3): 332-340.
- Whitford GM (1990). The physiological and toxicological characteristics of fluoride. Journal of Dental Research 69(2): 539-549.
- Wordsworth M (2015-09-01). Fluoridated water coverage drops to 79 per cent of Queensland; only one Indigenous community signs up. Australia: Australian Broadcasting Corporation.